Faculty suspends Fall Break for 5 years

In a Feb. 8 faculty meeting, Linfield faculty decided that a Fall Break option would not be discussed for the next five years.
Senior ASLC President Ashlee Carter said that the discussion comes up every year, so a professor motioned at the meeting that it should not be discussed for five years.
In other words, Linfield will have a week-long Thanksgiving Break each year for the next five years, at which point the issue will be reopened for discussion.
Carter said that one reason behind the weeklong break was that, with
shorter breaks beginning on Wednesdays or Thursdays, students frequently leave campus early and take the whole week off regardless.
Students across campus have mixed feelings about the current break schedule. Sophomore Kayla Wilkens said she prefers a whole week off for Thanksgiving because it gives her time to travel and visit friends.
Junior Tracy Beaver said she also prefers the weeklong break because she would not be able to go home if the break were only a few days long.
However, there are also students who feel opposition toward the current schedule.
“The time between the start of Fall Semester and the break is too long,” junior Ryan Dickman said. “I’d rather have more time in class before finals.”
The February faculty meeting also resulted in the decision to add a Saturday class to the 2012 January Term schedule.
“Given where New Year’s Day appears that year, it was difficult to fit in everything and still finish by Memorial Day,” John Sagers, faculty secretary and associate professor of history, said. “To avoid either shortening the break between Jan. Term and Spring Semester or extending the Spring Semester into June, a Saturday was added to Jan. Term.”
Sagers said there was some opposition to these ideas, but the majority supported the decisions.

Amanda Summers
Copy editor Amanda Summers can be reached at [email protected]