Faculty advocates for diploma delays

The distribtuion of diplomas at Commencement is under discussion. Faculty have been debating about the issue because of strained time during finals week, and not having enough of it to grade efficiently before Commencement.
The Board of Trustees and Dean of Students Dave Hansen will reach a decision soon.
If the decision to postpone diplomas is finalized, it will be put into full effect next year for the graduating class of 2011.
It has been said by The Review Editorial Board that student’s opinions are not being taken into account when it comes to finalizing the issue.
Senior Ashlee Carter, president of ASLC, said she sympathizes for with the classes behind hers that may not receive their diplomas on graduation day.
“As many high schools do, I didn’t get my diploma on graduation day, but I would be highly disappointed if this were to be the case on my college graduation day,” she said in an e-mail.
Carter was informed about the controversy by Dean Hansen and said she thought it would be best to tell students.
Senior ASLC Publicity Director Kellan Westhusing said that if it helps the professors get the job done, there is no reason to stress. He also will not be affected by the change, but said it would greatly help to receive diplomas on graduation day.
“The most important thing, though,” he said, “is that you are graduating.”

Lauren Ostrom
Features editor Lauren Ostrom can be contacted at [email protected]