Facebook: the new roomie finder

Rachael Palinkas

This week, I saw Linfield step it up. Or at least step into the online world. It is a direction they should continue to take, especially considering the number of individuals who rely on these forms of communication.

With housing registration approaching, the time has come to look for roommates. It isn’t as easy as it was when we were incoming freshman at Linfield and the whole process was taken care of for us. Now, it’s up to us to decide who we want to live with or, better yet, who we can stand to live with.

Linfield has created a group on Facebook for students who are looking for a roommate. They have also posted a list of people who need a roommate or roommates in Melrose Hall to reach students without Facebook accounts.

These are fantastic ideas, and I hope they will work out for students, because it can be difficult to find a roommate. I applaud Linfield for recognizing that a place for people to go and look for roommates is helpful for many.

There are a lot of things to consider when deciding who you want to live with for the next year, beyond just personal habits and lifestyles. The feeling can be overwhelming, especially if you’re a freshman and this is the first time going though housing registration.

For those of you who are considering housing options for next year and are finding it a challenge, check out the Facebook group or the list up in Melrose because they will be helpful. But don’t forget to do your research because you want to be happy, too.

Also, remember international students need a place to live and you can volunteer to room with them. It can be a very rewarding experience for each individual and is an opportunity you may never have again.

3