Baseball broadens NWC lead with four-game sweep

– Photo by Danyelle Myers/For the Review

Wildcats hold  NWC poll’s top spot with less than three weeks to go.

Adam Hartlaub

For the Review

The Linfield baseball team secured its 17th straight 20-win season April 4 and 5 with a four-game sweep of Northwest Conference rival Pacific University.

The games featured the No. 1 Wildcats against the No. 2 Boxers in a  crucial battle to determine first place in the race for playoffs.

The Boxers were riding a 10-game winning streak coming into the series, while the ’Cats had lost two of their previous three games during a trip to the Bay Area.

Junior pitcher Cam Larson said the series was a huge focus all week, as the team knew the importance of the contest.

Sunday’s games featured a family affair as Larson was set to start against his older brother, senior Pacific pitcher Brandon Larson.

“It was weird at first,” Larson said. “I grew up playing with him, and this was the first time I played against him.”

Larson presented a masterpiece in the second game of the series for the ’Cats when he threw seven innings without allowing a run, and only surrendering five base runners to improve his record to 3-3 on the year.

Offensive awards go to the whole team, as the Wildcats had nine players combine for 17 hits in just seven innings of play.

Junior infielder Corey Ellis led the way for the ’Cats with four hits.

Senior infielder David Bachofner added three of his own, including a home run to go along with his three RBIs.

Other Wildcats with multiple hits in the game include senior outfielder Stew Davis, senior catcher Drew Van Cleave and senior infielder Shannon Chung.

In the first game on Sunday, Linfield was forced to play catchup.

The Boxers had sophomore pitcher Reese McCulley’s number, grabbing an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first.

Pacific’s lead was shortlived as the Wildcats scored multiple runs in the next four innings to take an 11-4 lead.

Senior designated hitter Ty Stanley delivered a big blow in the top of the fourth inning on a three-run triple to right-center field and later scored on a sacrifice fly.

McCulley was able to settle down and get the win after pitching just over five innings before surrendering the mound to sophomore relief pitcher Kyle Mosbrucker.

“All week our team focus was hitting,” Larson said. “We came off a rough weekend with University of California State, East Bay, and knew we needed to hit well in order to win this series.”

Their practice worked. In the first game Ellis wrapped a single up the middle to set the pace.

Linfield would go on to score two runs that inning and take an early lead.

That lead grew sizably in the next frame as Davis connected on senior Pacific pitcher Sean Dickey’s throw for a grand slam that put the ’Cats out in front, 6-0.

Pacific chipped away at the ’Cats in the bottom of the inning after Linfield pitching ace senior Brian Clark surrendered a three-run home run to cut the lead to 6-4.

During the next seven innings the Wildcats tacked on another five runs, including three more RBI’s from Davis, bringing him to seven on the day.

Clark was able to baffle hitters, throwing five straight scoreless innings.

Linfield took an 11-4 lead going into the bottom of the ninth inning.

Poor weather conditions hampered senior relief pitcher Josh Guterman and the Linfield defense as Pacific was able to cross four runs on five wild pitches and a fielding error in the bottom of the ninth.

The second relief pitcher of the inning, freshman Robert Vaughn, was able to nail down the win with a strike out to end the game.

Heading into the eighth inning of the second contest of the afternoon, the Wildcats trailed, 6-3; however, their don’t-quit attitude paid off. Linfield plated five players during the inning.

During the rally, a crucial error off the bat of Ellis extended the inning, allowing Stanley to take matters into his own hands with a three-run homerun to take a two-run lead.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, Pacific mounted its comeback against Vaughn. With runners on second and third and two outs, sophomore Boxer hitter Joey Pulito smacked a hit to left field that looked to be a game-tying shot.

Senior outfielder Jordan Boustead had different plans, gunning a strike from left field to waiting Van Cleave, who tagged the tying run before he crossed the plate and ended the game.

Sophomore pitcher Garrett Dorn improved his record to 6-1 after throwing eight innings while scattering six earned runs and striking out four.

Stanley led the Wildcats at the plate with three hits and four RBIs, including his late-inning homerun.

Senior outfielder Kevin Mills and Ellis also added two hits each while each scoring one run.

After completing the four-game sweep, Larson raved about the team.

“The Pacific series is a big turning point in our season,” Larson said. “It showed our character and what our team potential is, especially when facing adversity after coming off a series the weekend before.”

Next up for the Wildcats is another important series with NWC rival Lewis & Clark College.

The Wildcats will host the Pioneers with doubleheaders on April 12 and 13, both days starting at noon.