Exhibit displays mid-year portfolio preview

Hunter Deiglmeier – Review staff writer. Through paintings, sculpture, photography and drawings, art inspires and affects each individual differently.
Linfield art students continually strive to make an impact on others through their own artwork, and the culmination of several senior students’ efforts will be displayed in the Thesis and Portfolio Exhibit beginning Dec. 9 and running through Dec. 19.
According to Gallery Director Cris Moss, adjunct professor of art and visual culture, this art show, which will be held in the James F. Miller Fine Arts Center Building B, is similar to a preview of the end-of-the-year art show that will be displayed in the spring.
“This mid-year [show] gives [the students] experience, and it leads up to the major exhibition during the year,” he said.
Not only will the exhibit give the thesis and portfolio students the experience of having their artwork displayed, it will give others the opportunity to learn about different types of artwork and to be inspired by the work.
In the exhibit, a variety of media were used, ranging from photography to ceramics and paintings.
And, as a whole, the exhibit provides a good reason to see what is happening in the art department, Moss said.
Senior Meghan Meehan will display her work in the exhibit. She has been working on her piece for three months and said she is excited to be showing her work.
“It is photos mounted on wood,” Meehan said. “The photos are of young women; the piece is meant to implicate the viewer — I wanted the young women [in the pictures] to be like they actually go to Linfield because I want the women here to identify with [them].”
Meehan is no stranger to art shows. In fact, this exhibit is her third time in the arts center. She has also had her work displayed in coffee shops, at an auction and numerous times in the smaller building of the James F. Miller Fine Arts Center.
She said she is eager for the Senior Thesis and Portfolio exhibit; however, she is most excited about having individuals see her work.
“[I like] seeing what people think about it,” she said.
She said she thinks that viewing the entire exhibit is important for the public.
“People need to connect with the art field more,” Meehan said. “In stressful situations, having an artistic outlet is a positive thing. There are a lot of messages [in art] that people can take something away with.”
The art exhibit is free, and all students and staff, as well as the general public, are welcome.

1