Smashed window, sexual abuse: campus crimes abound

Chelsea Langevin – Senior reporter. After three windows were broken on campus the night of Halloween and the college learned of a grand jury indictment for a McMinnville citizen at the local nail salon Nov. 6, Robert Cepeda, director of Linfield College Community Public Safety & Security, reminded us that we are more capable of helping each other by studying our surroundings.
A peak in crime on and near the Linfield campus has once again motivated students to be cautious and alert.
“If you hear or see something, let someone know,” Cepeda said.
At approximately 1 a.m. Nov. 1, junior Garrett Garceau said he remembers seeing the flashing lights of LCCPS near the Vivian A. Bull Music Center and rushing to make sure nothing was seriously damaged.
“There was a hole roughly two feet tall and one foot wide that went through three of the four panes,” he said.
However, because the last pane was still intact, the interior room was protected.
“I can’t say why anybody would want to vandalize the window, but I attribute it to either some drunken person on a rampage or an intended theft of some of the items in the band room,” Garceau said.
The Vivian A. Bull building’s window was not the only one vandalized that night, Cepeda said.
A window in Walker Hall, as well as one in the Linfield Bike Co-op near LCCPS’ building, were also smashed open, he said.
Not only are these crimes frightening, they are also costly, Cepeda said, with the music building’s window costing nearly $5,000 to replace.
To offset climbing insurance rates and high replacement costs, Cepeda said it is imperative that witnesses contact LCCPS or McMinnville police immediately.
“We can check it out, and, if it turns out to be a timely thing, we can see a potential suspect,” he said.
In these cases, however, no suspects have been identified.
On the outskirts of campus, an alleged crime of a greater magnitude also poses a threat to Linfield students and faculty, as a McMinnville resident has been indicted on two counts of sexual abuse and one count of kidnapping.
The resident, Dam Ngoc Pham, is the owner of the Solar Nails salon in the Albertson’s place near campus.
While the crime was alleged to have occured July 28, 2009, it is still a relevant threat because of the number of Linfield students, faculty and staff who could have potentially attended that salon in the period between the crime and the indictment, Cepeda said.
The victim reported that the crime occurred when she was the last customer of the evening, according to the e-mail sent to the Linfield campus by Cepeda.
In situations such as these, Cepeda said it is important to follow your instincts.
“If your gut is telling you something is not right, follow it — what do you have to lose?” He said.
Cepeda also stressed that Ngoc Pham has not yet been found guilty. Rather than labeling the salon as a dangerous place, he said we should consider the case a reminder to be more cautious.
“Americans tend to be so trusting and so kind, and they don’t think past what could happen when they are receiving a service,” he said.
Overall, Cepeda said we should always remember that we have the choice to avoid potentially dangerous places or situations.
“Anyone can use his or her best judgment and just stay away,” Cepeda said.