IPO’s hospitality receives acclaim

Hunter Deiglmeier – Review staff writer. Linfield was mentioned in The Chronicle of Higher Education on Oct. 14 for its efforts in integrating international students into the American college atmosphere.
This year, Linfield experienced an increase in the number of enrolled international students.
The International Programs Office strives to make the transition from life in other countries to life at an American college as easy as possible.
The number of international students attending Linfield is the highest it has been in 20 years, Director of International Programs Shaik Ismail said. Although most international students hail from China, Japan and Vietnam, there are about 25 other countries involved in the exchange, he said.
Linfield provides basic English language classes for international students; advisers help break up students into smaller groups to help them ease into American college life; and students can live in campus residence halls with domestic students.
The school also works to bring international students into an inviting atmosphere when they arrive in McMinnville.
The Chronicle of Higher Education focused on Linfield’s Friendship Families Program, regarding it as a helpful tool in creating a comfortable environment where international students can live and learn. Through the program, students are connected with families in McMinnville.
Students can visit these families on weekends and holidays, experience American culture and become immersed in the community, Ismail said.
“My friendship family is really kind and helpful; they are like my American mom and dad,” freshman Qing Li, an international student from China, said. “They always invite me to their house, and [we] have dinner or [watch] movies together. They made me feel like I am in my own home. Whenever I have difficulties, they are always by my side and give me a hand.”
The program’s goal is not to be a “homestay” but to have students live on campus and experience the college-campus atmosphere.
By living on campus, international students are able to become involved not only at school, but in the McMinnville community, as well.
The students are eager to participate in activities across campus. Many of them are members of various clubs and are also club leaders, Ismail said. For example, Li is the organizer of the International Club.
The Chronicle recognized Linfield’s international program as one that is especially helpful for all international students attending the school — through the International Programs Office, Friendship Families and club campus involvement.

2
View Comments (2)