“A Doll’s House” features rotating set, feminism

Lauren Ostrom – Features editor. “A Doll’s House,” directed by Janet Gupton, associate professor of theater and communication arts, is set in the 18th century and exhibits love, humor, drama and scandalous behavior.
The production opened Nov. 5 in Marshall Theatre and will run through Nov. 14.
The cast comprises seniors Jessica Learn and William DeBiccari; juniors Christopher Lambert and Sharon Hagel; sophomores Bailey Maxwell, Caitlyn Olson and Andrew Purcell; and freshman Christopher Forrer. Also joining the cast are Associate Professor of Sociology and Anthropology Amy Orr’s and Director of Alumni Relations Debbie Harmon’s children, Hunter Svec-Orr and Jacob Harmon.
One striking difference from other plays is the production of the set. Learn described it as a Victorian-style dollhouse, in which the actors are completely enclosed in.
“The interior of the house looks like a genuine living room, accessorized with wallpaper, pictures and furniture,” she said in an e-mail. “To top it all off, the whole house moves during the entirety of the show, allowing the audience to experience different angles and views.”
Gupton said she was eager to see the audience’s reaction to the set.
“The audience gets to see a classic piece of modern theater, and then they get to see our particular take on the piece,” she said. “I’m hoping students, faculty and Linfield students will take the opportunity to come see it.”
Learn, who plays the lead role of Nora, said her favorite part of the production is performing her part.
“Nora is independent, but at the same time, she’s trapped in a doll’s house,” Learn said. “She pretends to not know as much as she does. But then she ends up finding her own character. Linfield hasn’t done a period piece. A period piece shows how feminist and timeless this production is.”
“A Doll’s House” will run in Marshall Theatre Nov. 5-8 at 8 p.m., Nov. 8 at 2 p.m. and Nov. 12-14 at 8 p.m. Prices are $9 for general admission; $7 for non-Linfield students, seniors and Linfield faculty and staff; and $5 for Linfield students. Tickets can be purchased at the box office or online at
www.linfield.edu/culture.