Area director recognized for sincere service

Cindy Nguyen – For the Review. Delane Hein, Linfield area director for judicial affairs, presented at the Northwest Association of Student Affairs Professionals conference held in Sunriver, Ore., Oct. 22-24.
Two awards were presented at the ceremony: the Otis McCreery Outstanding Service Award and the May Dunn Innovative Program Award. As a tradition, the McCreery award recipient presents a speech the following year.
In 2008, Hein was honored with the McCreery award, an achievement that has a long history of deans as recipients.
“I actually didn’t know that I was nominated for the award,” Hein said. “I was very surprised when I heard my name announced.”
Jeff Mackay, associate dean of students and director of Residence Life, attended the conference to witness this year’s festivities.
“We have worked together for 10 years,” Mackay said “She brings compassion and insight to student affairs at Linfield and is a wonderful addition to the staff.”
Along with the honor of receiving the McCreery Award last year, Hein announced the nominees this year and presented the closing speech.
“It felt humbling and required a lot of reflection and thought,” Hein said. “The attendees of these conferences tend to be knowledgeable, and it was difficult because the topic of the speech was open to anything. It was about learning competencies of the heart. You can’t serve others unless you really do it in a sincere and authentic way. Otherwise the outcomes aren’t valuable.”
The conference is held annually for NWASAP members and all college or university employers in the Northwest.
The McCreery award was established in 1987 and is named for the first president of the NWASAP, formally as known as the Northwest College Personnel Association, in honor of his contributions.
Award recipients display integrity and stature while demonstrating ability in such a way that fellow faculty members, staff and alumni would take pride in their recognition.