Yogurt, bingo and boobie cakes: raising awareness

Cindy Nguyen – For the Review. Think Pink Week, an event created by Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and Theta Chi Fraternity to support breast cancer education and awareness, kicked off Oct. 19 with a yogurt-eating contest.
Zeta Tau Alpha is partnered nationally with Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Yoplait, the National Football League, Self magazine, Lifetime Network and Betsey Johnson to aid in this cause.
A curious group of interested dinner-goers crowded around a small stage set up in the middle of the Dillin dining room for the yogurt eating contest Oct. 19. Each round of the contest lasted for one minute, 30 seconds.
Freshman Lucas Dudley was runner-up, consuming eight containers of yogurt. Sophomore Jason Cooper took first place with nine.
“After seeing that much yogurt being consumed, I think I’ll take a break from eating yogurt for a while,” freshman spectator Jenny Morgan said.
On Oct. 20, the Fred Meyer Lounge was filled with Zeta Tau Alpha sorority members and attendees for the second event of the week, “Bingo for Baked Goods.” Participants purchased 25-cent bingo cards for a chance to win cookies, boobie cupcakes and the grand prize, a “Better-than-sex cake.” All proceeds of the night went to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
A new addition to the annual event was the Oct. 22 luminary ceremony, in which dozens of decorated, candle-lit bags were arranged around the People Fountain in honor of those who have fought and are still fighting breast cancer.
“Think Pink Week’s goal is to raise money and awareness,” junior Jenn White, one of the event’s coordinators, said in an email. “We want the college population to know that breast cancer doesn’t just affect women in their forties but women of all ages, races and socioeconomic statuses. Of the 200,000-plus women that will be diagnosed each year with breast cancer, 11,500 of them will be under the age of 40.”
Capping off the weeklong event will be the car bash, taking place Oct. 23. The event will offer anyone who’s willing to donate money a chance to take a few swings at a car. The bashing will start at 5 p.m. on Pioneer Way in front of Dillin Hall.

1
View Comments (1)