Linfield welcomes established journalist

Hunter Deiglmeier – Review staff writer. Acclaimed environmental journalist for The Wall Street Journal Jeffrey Ball will present his lecture “Squeezed and Confused: America at an Energy Crossroads,” in which he will discuss his viewpoints and ideas on the present state of the environment in Ice Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 20.
Today, the world is at a critical point regarding environmental issues, as debates about how to handle these problems arise within not only the government, but also at colleges such as Linfield.
“[Ball] is a top-notch journalist. We are really delighted to have him here,” Fred Ross, adviser to the president said. “[His lecture gives students] a great chance to hear crucial, essential information.”
Ball is from Dallas, Texas, and has been writing for The Wall Street Journal for more than a decade. His column which is featured in the prominent newspaper is titled Power Shift. It covers a range of environmental topics ranging from the auto industry, the oil industry to writing broadly about the environment, Ball has thoroughly researched and covered all the bases regarding the environment.
For his lecture at Linfield, he will mainly discuss how to curb today’s environmental issues.
“What I’m going to be talking about is how the US consumes energy, [and how to curb] the increase and what [needs to] happen in order to do that,” Ball said.
His presentation is pertinent to students not only at Linfield, but those at other colleges and universities as well. The debate about the environment is becoming ever more prevalent, especially for students. Within the lifetime of today’s students—even within the next ten years—people can expect to see changes in opinions on how to handle the environment and the regulation of fossil fuels, he said.
Ultimately, Ball said that he is eager to speak in classrooms and in Ice Auditorium.
“I’m really looking forward to it. I’m excited to meet new people and talk with students, and [even] pick up new ideas for my column.” He said.