Career Center offers students varied perspectives

Amanda Summers – Copy editor. Linfield is constantly changing, bringing in new programs and eradicating old ones. Many of these changes are upsetting to Wildcats: the Observatory closing, new Internet password rules and fewer dining options in Dillin, to name a few.
One of the less controversial changes this fall is the Career Center “After Hours” program. The program consists of three small events, each with guest speakers discussing their careers in order to educate students on various career possibilities.
Each event will take place from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Fred Meyer Lounge.
Alissa Leeper and Heather Sweeney were scheduled to discuss their careers with Adidas on Oct. 15, but the event was canceled because of illness.
John Gottberg Anderson, author and co-author of numerous travel books, will speak Oct. 28 about his writing career.
The Nov. 16 event will focus on the international career of Derrick Olsen, a former U.S. Foreign Service employee who is now the International Trade manager with the Oregon Economic and Community Development Department.
“This program is a new version of the ‘Monday at Noon Program’ from many years ago,” Anne Hardin Ballard, director of career and community services, said.
Speakers were chosen based on professional diversity. Ballard said she expects that each speaker will attract a different audience. Two of the programs featured guests, Leeper and Olsen, have previous experience speaking at Linfield.
Students attending are encouraged to ask questions and meet with the speakers after their presentations to network.

1
View Comments (1)