Save your student handbook

Tyler Morrill

At the beginning of every year, students’ unit boxes get filled with stuff, some of it more helpful than the rest. One thing every student receives, and most likely pays little attention to, is the student handbook.

Not many people take full advantage of the information they are given in the handbook. Going through it, I found a couple of things students should know to help them out and improve their time here.

The first thing I noticed is the phone number listings. It includes every restaurant in town, both sit-down and fast food, you could want. More than 25 churches from the community are in it. Hotels, movie theaters, golf courses and bowling alleys are all there for one to find.

With gas prices nearing the price of minimum wage, soon transportation is going to be a growing problem, especially for college students. McMinnville has bus transportation called YAMCO. It costs only $1.50 per fare and can take you anywhere from Bi-Mart all the way across town to Wal-Mart, which can be a rough commute with how long it takes to get down Highway 99. It runs throughout the day from
8 a.m. to 4:20 p.m. The route even comes down Linfield Avenue every hour at 20 minutes after the hour.

The YAMCO bus should be encouraged more by the school because it’s a great alternative to driving.

One pretty timely piece of information that’s in the handbook is Linfield’s outdoor equipment rental program. With Spring Break behind us, students could have planned a cheap weekend getaway with friends.

The Health and Outdoor Program gives students a chance to rent outdoor gear for low prices. A pair of tents for five dollars a weekend is pretty unbeatable. Other possible rentals include sleeping bags, stoves, backpacks and wetsuits.

The rentals also include package deals to give students even better options. This allows those wanting to do something different to get out and do just that.

Something else everyone should know are all the resources provided for Linfield students. Not everyone looks forward to writing essays or presenting speeches. Luckily, there are two centers students can go to to improve in both categories.

The Writing Center in Melrose Hall provides trained assistants to help students improve their writing styles. The Speaking Center in the library also provides students with an opportunity to touch-up their public speaking ability. Trained students are in both places to work with those seeking help and give them advice.

This information may be old news to some of you, but for those that have learned something new, maybe it can help improve either your academic career or your
free time.