Poet takes her ‘Revenge’

P.J. Wilson – For the Review. Acclaimed poet Marilyn Chin presented her work in the Austin Reading Room of the Nicholson Library on Oct. 15.
She talked about her most recent novel, “Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen,” a story about two Asian-American girls and the complexity of ethnic identity in America’s melting pot.
Chin was born in Hong Kong and raised in Portland. She is also the author of “Rhapsody in Plain Yellow,” “Dwarf Bamboo” and “The Pheonix Gone, the Terrace Empty,” all of which discuss similar themes involving her Asian-American identity and heritage.
Her books have become classics and are taught in classrooms across the world.
“We have an increasing number of students of color on campus: I thought Marilyn Chin’s presence would be beneficial and encouraging for both students and faculty at Linfield,” Professor of English Reshmi Dutt-Ballerstadt said. “In order to understand the complexity of an increasingly multicultural world in which we live, we need to expose our students and faculty to voices like Chin’s.”
Chin said she wants the students to think.
“And I want them to have fun with my writing; that’s what it’s about,” she said.
Standing and sitting room was filled at the reading, and students who attended said they weren’t disappointed.
“I enjoyed it a lot, and it seemed like everyone else did, too,” sophomore Lauren Ostrom said. “The writing was really enjoyable to listen to, and Marilyn Chin is inspiring to aspiring writers such as myself.”