Bright colors illuminate ‘After Hours’ exhibit

Lauren Ostrom – for the Review. A new exhibit titled “After Hours” has recently been constructed inside the Miller Fine Arts Gallery.
The show opened Oct. 13 and includes pieces from a variety of Washington and Oregon artists: Kolieha Bush, Joe Cotter, Olivia Behm, Myrna Yoder, Jenny Joyce and Linfield graduate Lyle Hehn.
Each artist brings a different style to the gallery, ranging from woodblock cutting to ceramic abstracts to scenery paintings.
Walking around the exhibit, one notices that each artist has his or her own personal flair, which creates a stellar view for anyone who sees the collection.
Cris Moss, adjunct professor of art and visual culture and gallery coordinator, said the one thing the artists have in common is that they all are responsible for painting artwork for different McMenamin’s restaurant locations.
“I go to numerous studios around the region and country and find what is most educational to put in the exhibit for Linfield students,” Moss said. “I select works of art, and they are for sale at the show. Students help me choose what pieces to put up out of what we are given.”
Hehn earned his bachelor’s degree in art and is the exhibit’s head artist. His work features abstract sculptures, and he designed the postcard that advertises the exhibit. If you were to observe his work, you would find that it is interesting because of its spontaneity and his incorporation of uncommon ideas.
Behm has several abstract paintings displayed, as well, including pieces that encourage the use of your imagination. She said her favorite part about art is using bright colors in her work.
“I have always had an interest in abstract art, and even as a budding art student back in the ’70s, I tended to explore line, shadow, shape and if I added color in, that was another element,” Behm said. “To me, that was just completely fascinating. I never felt the need to represent anything particular. I feel like the real world does a good job representing itself. I felt I didn’t have a need to do that.”
Yoder has been working for McMenamin’s for 18 years. Her art in the exhibit employs woodblock as a medium taking a piece a wood that is then carved and painted on. She said this was her favorite material to work with. Yoder also said capturing a particular moment inspires her personal work beyond painting.
“Most of the paintings we do for McMenamin’s, we are taking history and illustrating it,” she said. “We are taking stories from the property or the company and we’re combining them together. We are painting a picture of that moment of history. I like to capture a moment and let you connect with it and let you bring a story to it.”
Freshman McKenzie Johnson said the vibrant colors were her favorite part of the gallery.
“I like that there is also a variety of art, not just one particular kind,” she said. “Especially if you aren’t interested in art, it gives people an opportunity to find something you like.”
The exhibit is on display until Nov. 21. The gallery is open Tuesday through Saturday from noon-5 p.m. For more information about the gallery, go to www.linfield.edu/art.¬