Alumnus, students stand up for Iranian democracy

P.J. Wilson – For the Review. Linfield College alumnus and former Associated Students of Linfield College Vice President Farshid Rafahi, who now lives in Los Angeles, has created the Web site FreedomInIran.com.
The group is a “coalition of Iranian-American students trying to raise awareness about the injustice in Iran,” according to its Web site.
On June 18, Rafahi and his roommates decided to build the Web site, and by June 20 it was ready for the world to see. One of his friends, Linfield junior Geoffrey Moore, collects information at 3 a.m. (midday in Iran) every day and updates the site to keep all the information as timely as possible for those who check the site daily.
Rafahi and his friends are also working to raise awareness of the Iranian democracy movement by selling freedom bracelets in Los Angeles, which has the largest Iranian community outside of Iran. Funds from bracelet sales were originally intended to go straight to Iran, but because of the country’s political instability, this has been prevented.
For now, the group sends funds to various nonprofit organizations, such as UNICEF and Amnesty International.
“We started this site not only to raise funds for this grassroots movement, but also to educate and inform,” the Web site stated.
For information, photos and videos about the Iranian democracy movement, or to purcahse a freedom wristband, visit http://freedominiran.com/site/Welcome.html.