Bands to rock out in Mack theater

Chelsea Langevin – Senior reporter. Three Linfield bands will compete for a chance to enter the semi-finals round at the Northwest Battle of the Bands College Night on Oct. 2 in the historic McMinnville Theater.
Of the five bands performing, three represent Linfield: “The Mustaches,” “The Blueberry Greens Band” and “The Two Second Fiddles,” Devin Royce, Battle of the Bands’ organizer, said.
Whereas each Linfield band has at least one Linfield student member, The Mustaches is the only completely Linfield-affiliated band, senior and lead singer Eric Phillips said.
This five-member band is a self-proclaimed mix between bluegrass and newgrass (a subgenre of bluegrass) music.
“It’s hard to classify,” Phillips said. “It’s not quite newgrass or fully alternative.”
Senior Sterling Scott, percussionist for the band, described The Mustaches’ music differently.
“We’re rooted in bluegrass, but it’s also folk rock,” he said.
Phillips said the band’s sound has the direct quality of the Kings of Leon and the lyrical candor of the Avett Brothers.
While the band is a closely knit group now, it came together almost by accident, Phillips said. In the fall of 2008, Phillips was a member of another Linfield band known as “The Kickers,” but when the lead singer graduated, Phillips needed a new means of continuing his passion.
One day after rugby practice, Phillips boldly asked Scott if he wanted to form a band. Scott gladly accepted.
“I like making a new sound that’s not out there,” Scott said.
Each member plays his or her own instrument but also contributes back-up vocals, Phillips said. Christy Tanner plays the fiddle; Kyle Ward plays the banjo, harmonica and bass; Jeff Primozich plays the guitar; Scott plays the drums; and Phillips provides lead vocals.
Phillips said everyone in the band has similar tastes in music, making it easy to create sounds they all enjoy.
“We’re just out there to have fun,” Phillips said.
For more information about The Mustaches, visit www.myspace.com/mustachesband.
To see The Mustaches or the other Linfield bands compete in the Battle of the Bands, purchase tickets online at www.battleofthebandsnw.com or at the door. The battle begins at 8 p.m. Oct. 9