Students will tap into holistic health practices

Joanna Peterson – Review staff writer. Students can expect to gain a better understanding of holistic health during Wellness Week 2009.
Every year, Linfield hosts Wellness Week, an event that aims to raise student awareness of health issues and resources available on campus, Christina Ries, health promotion and student wellness coordinator, said.
“Our goal is to introduce students to all areas of wellness and ways to improve those areas,” Janet Peterson, associate professor of health and human performance, said.
Information tables will focus on a certain aspect of health each day, ranging from nutrition to relationships to communication, Ries said.
Students can also participate in a variety of activities, such as a trip to the McMinnville Farmers Market, to get blood pressure checks and massages, to a meditation session and to an improv comedy night.
There will be giveaways all week from Cindy’s Gym, Anytime Fitness, Incahoots, Thai Country, Great Harvest Bread Co. and other local businesses.
Wellness Week takes place from Sept. 28-Oct. 2. The tables will be set up in front of Walker Hall and Withnell Commons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Various students groups such as Greenfield, Associated Students of Linfield College and Greek Life will staff the event tables, but any student who wants to help should contact [email protected], Peterson said.
“It’s a really good event that Linfield does to invest in the students’ health,” she said. “We do this for you.”

1