Senate leaders have high goals for school year

Hunter Deiglmeier – Review staff writer. The Associated Students of Linfield College Senate comprises the entire student body. Through the Senate, student participants can contribute to life at college and beyond.
The Senate is a group that focuses getting as many students as possible students involved on campus by making it easy for students to obtain a position and have key roles within the organization.
“Senate doesn’t just report back to the students [the] things that are happening to them,” junior Geoffrey Porter, Model United Nations representative, said.
It also has an effect on Linfield students as well as on people around the world, he said.
The idea for new bike racks on campus this year started in Senate. Additionaly, two years ago the Senate sent aid to the recovery efforts in China and Burma after the earthquake and tsunami, Porter said.
The Senate also helps to host, promote and fund various club activities on campus.
“Clubs that host activities often secure funding and promote them through Senate,” senior Christopher Norman, ASLC vice president and Senate president, said.
Additionally, the ASLC Cabinet plans and hosts the Activities Fair, Mom’s Weekend, Dad’s Weekend, Homecoming and more.
Official Senate rules state that every hall, club or fraternity and sorority may have one senator for every 30 student members.
“Almost every hall can have at least two senators and at least half could [probably] have more than that, which means that there are plenty of positions still [available],” Porter said.
As this year’s Senate president, Norman said his goals for Senate include keeping senators involved, making sure they send out their constituency reports each week and having weekly meetings between all senators.
The Senate meets at 6:30 p.m. each Monday in the Riley Student Center, room 201 to report and discuss future campus events and activities.
To become a Senator, contact Norman at [email protected].