Indie band performs for students, not trees

Braden Smith. The professional Cat Cab on Sept. 17 featured one of Corvallis’ up-and-coming bands: Pine Language. The band features Brian Harvey on vocals, guitar and piano; Nate Potts on guitar; Will Taylor on bass; and Julia Patton on drums.
To get a better idea of Pine Language’s sound, here is a Q&A with lead-vocalist Harvey:
How did the band get started?
Pine Language was started about six months ago, after I began recording tracks for my solo project, Pale Rider. I got in the studio and realized how badly I wanted to play with a band that wrote together and thought things through cooperatively, rather than do everything myself. Now we do everything as a family.
Who are some of your major musical influences?
The list is too long. We all love Broken Social Scene, Radiohead, Doves and Shout Out Louds, but our sound has changed so much since we first started, it’s apparent that our influences are shifting all the time.
How would you describe the style of the band?
I normally just say indie rock and leave it at that. I’m sure we could come up with some kind of pretentious sub-genre, but we would probably rather just play a show for you and let you decide.
Is there an album to look forward to?
We want to have something done by the end of the year. We want to release something really bad, but we also want to do it well so that we can be proud of it. That’s been the recurring barrier throughout our time together: We record, get done and have little to show for it. It’s for everyone’s benefit, though. We don’t want anyone to feel let down.
What do you hope to see in the future for Pine Language?
We would love to have a release that we are proud of and to go on the road in support of it. I don’t think that is too far away.
Why did you choose the name Pine Language? Do you guys talk to trees?
It’s encompasses a wide array of ideas. When I was young, I used to talk to the trees in my backyard when I was playing by myself. I probably sound autistic, but it’s true. Part of it is an ode to the Northwest. We love Oregon.

Pine Language brings a unique sound to the music scene, aspiring to build on what all started as a chance meeting in a recording studio.
To keep track of Pine Language, listen to its music online at http://www.myspace.com/brianharveymusicland.

2