Exhibit sews together unlikely elements as cars meet canvas

Brianne Ries.Delicate and automobile are two words that generally do not go hand-in-hand. However, with cotton, bleach, paint, cotton thread and monofilament, one local artist brings delicacy and intrigue to something we see every day: the automobile.
The exhibit, titled “Assembly, line, image, system,” is on display in the Miller Fine Arts Gallery, brought to students from the creative mind of Portland artist Bean Gilsdorf.
When walking into the gallery, the eye is immediately drawn to the sharp contrast of red cloth against white walls.
Visitors are then enveloped in a sea of 10 life-size vehicles, representing a variety of makes and models. An installation piece is suspended from the ceiling by hundreds of strands of red thread, which appear lightweight and elegant.
The simplicity of the exhibit’s appearance should not undermine the incredible detail and care the artist took with each piece. From the shape of the windows to the brand of tire on each vehicle, Gilsdorf leaves nothing out.
Cris Moss, gallery director, said Gilsdorf contacted him on several occasions to show at Linfield, and, after a studio visit, Moss invited her to come.
According to Gilsdorf’s Web site, she is a fourth-generation seamstress and has an impressive portfolio of quilts, installation and sculpture pieces. She has been featured in U.S. museums and venues ranging from Oregon to Pennsylvania as well as abroad in countries such as England, Italy and South Africa.
The exhibit will be on display through Oct. 2. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 12-5 p.m