Commitment: There’s no ‘u’ in team

Dominic Baez & Claire Oliver

When you agree to do something, knowing full well what the job entails, you should stick to it.
No one likes a quitter, and you know what they say: Winners never quit, and quitters never win. It’s a good mantra to live by.
This year at the Review has been tumultuous at best in terms of its staff.
We went through three arts/ops/ent editors, a sports editor, a features/focus editor and a graphics/ads designer. The list goes on. We’ve already had people quit during the hiring for the 2009-2010 staff.
The students who left the Review put extra stress on other staff members, especially the assistant editor, who is responsible for covering those positions when needed.
However, that isn’t supposed to be his or her job; he or she is only supposed to fill in occasionally, not every week.
Because of this year’s committed assistant editor, along with other ambitious editors, the Review was able to transition with relative ease through each staff change.
However, that does not excuse the fact that multiple people quit their jobs despite being warned about the long hours — which was the recurring excuse for quitting.
When we hire someone, one of the first things we tell them is how long our Thursday nights can be, along with the other time commitments they would be responsible for. We don’t hide it. It’s one of the reasons why we win awards: We don’t half-ass it here at the Review (at least not where it counts).
So, it comes as a great surprise when staff members quit, saying that they didn’t think the job would be so demanding or some other half-thought-of excuse.
The reasons we have gotten for leaving have range from reasonable to insane.
We aren’t Nazis; we just want a staff that will stick it out and give working for us a fair chance.
As with everything in life, you should be honest; if you’re not liking your job, fine, tell us. Some staff members have had some valid reasons for quitting, and we understand that.
Recently, however, most of them quit without giving us enough time to find and train replacements.
The Review knows that working on our staff isn’t the same as working for a professional newspaper, but this is still a paid job. Being on staff comes with responsibilities, and other people depend on you to fulfill them. You should treat this — and any other campus position — as a real job, even if you don’t think it is.
Do you think you can up-and-quit a job in the real world with no notice or legitimate reason and still continue to be hired at other places? Would you do this at an internship or an off-campus, part-time job? Then why would you do it on campus? Do you think just because we’re a college newspaper we can function without a reliable staff?
Trust us: It doesn’t work like that at Linfield or in the real world.
The Review understands that you are students; that’s why you’re at Linfield. Your studies should always come first. But, you should realize that what you do here is going to carry over even after graduation.
You should be well aware by now of what you need to do in order to pass your classes, to find time to study and to know how much time you have available for extracurricular activities.
If you say you have the time to do something and then say you are going to do it, it’s only fair that you stick to it.
As Sir Isaac Newton said, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Your actions define who you are, so remember this: You’re a college student now; act like one.

1