Disrespect in halls is peeving to students

The Review Editorial Board

Students who have lived in a residence hall during their freshman year know that it can be a fun, but also challenging, experience to live in a dorm building. 

Not everyone will agree with each other on what is too loud for music, or when it’s okay to go running down the hall yelling after 10 p.m. 

Living in a residence hall is supposed to teach students how to live in a community, and more importantly, how to solve conflicts with others. 

After spending a year living in a residence hall, many students would hope to have an easy experience living in them during their sophomore year. 

Unfortunately, this is not always the case. 

It seems it is hard to escape immature peers that can’t understand that not everyone wants to be awake after 1 a.m. 

When most state schools allow students to live wherever they like after their freshman year, students at Linfield are expecting to have a good experience living in a residence hall again after their freshman year. 

Freshmen who live in the residence halls often forget that there are sophomores and occasionally juniors who also live in the halls. 

It is not uncommon for first-year students to do things that can affect the entire hall. 

Recently, students living in Jane Failing residence hall experienced vandalism to the building. 

In cases in which a student(s) responsible of an incident cannot be identified, an entire hall could be charged for any damage done. 

This is irritating to all students, no matter what year in school they are. 

It is not only an inconvenience for students living in a residence hall for a second year, but it is also discouraging for those that know that they will be living in a hall for an another year. 

Being respectful of your neighbors is something that should be developed in college, if not sooner. 

When students graduate, vandalism to a house or apartment they are renting will carry similar consequences to those in college. 

Often, if the landlord finds that whoever they are renting to has caused damage to the home, they will fine them. 

Additionally, if people are having a party at their home, and there is loud music or underaged drinking, they can receive charges of noise disturbance and furnishing to minors. 

Students need to pay attention to those that they share a residence hall with and be courteous to them. 

The Review Editorial Board can be reached at [email protected]