Linfield alum set to give Commencement Address

Linfield alumni, Dr. Stephen Lopes, will be delivering the Commencement Address during this year’s graduation ceremony.

Lopes graduated Linfield College in 1984 with a degree in Communications and after earning his doctorates of education from the University of Pennsylvania, serves as the chief operating officer and chief financial officer of the University of Southern California Athletics Department. He is responsible for managing all financial resources and operations of the $100 million athletic department budget at USC in addition to being an assistance adjunct professor at the USC’s Rossier School of Education.

Lopes also serves as the executive director and program coordinator for the Sports Management Institute which aims to provide a unique educational experience to train individuals into specialize sports management professionals that understand the value of academic theory and athletic practice.

During his time at Linfield, Lopes was deeply involved in both athletics and academics. Lopes played offensive tackle for the Wildcats under legendary football head coach, Ad Rutschman and Linfield Athletics Hall of Fame, Ted Henry. Lopes achievements in football also translated to other sports as he lettered in both wrestling for two years and gold for one year.  Lopes was inducted in the Linfield Athletic Hall of Fame in 2002 with his teammates on the 1982 championship team.

Lopes describes that Linfield “allowed me to combine athletics and academics, led me to understand that these two endeavors are interconnected and in fact compliment each other.”

He also describes how just like most undergraduates, he was never truly one hundred percent sure on what he wanted to study.  He believed however in the value of being a hardworking individual and taking advantage of what is given to you.

“What you want to do is to have a well-rounded education, understand how to learn, build a network and then work hard,” Lopes said. “I had no idea what I was going to do when I left Linfield, but I had a solid liberal arts degree in business and communications and my success in athletics gave me confidence that I could do whatever I wanted, even if I was somewhat naïve, not knowing how big, competitive and unforgiving the work world is.”

As for a message he wants to leave students who will not be able to attend this year’s commencement ceremony, Lopes wants to encourage all students that anyone has the potential to be successful, as long as you recognize and take action on the opportunities given to you.

“Be productive every day, have impeccable character, trust your heart and appreciate the ride and those people around you, family, friends and co-workers who you get to share the ride with each day. Nothing is given to you, adversity is a part of life and you have to find something positive about each day of your life, even when life is challenging.”

This year’s commencement ceremony will be on Sunday, June 1 on the commencement green in front of Riley Hall.

Camille    Weber     can          be            reached   at
[email protected].

Camille Weber / Sports columnist