Dancing, anti-racism and Henna tattoos

Brianne Ries
Assistant editor

From Irish dancing and tea ceremonies to Henna tattoos and thoughtful lectures, Diversity Week aimed to increase student interest and involvement in diversity.
Sponsored by the Linfield Activities Board, Diversity Week usually coincides with one of the most well-known Spring events, the Hawaiian Lu’ua, which will take place April 24.
Sophomore Lauren Funtanilla, LAB cultural events chair, said she had been thinking all year about Diversity Week and what activities LAB could sponsor.
“We have a lot of diverse groups on campus, and it comes down to what kind of diverse activities you bring,” Funtanilla said.
Pulling from local performers and artists within the Portland area and a lecturer/comedian several Linfield students watched at the annual National Association for Campus Activities, the events this year highlighted a variety of activities and cultural influences.
One of the most discussed events was the comedic lecture “The End of Racism” by Preacher Moss. According to comedycontact.com, Moss was selected as the 2008 Best Diversity Act at NACA, where Funtanilla saw him perform, sparking her interest in inviting him to speak on campus.
The Japanese Tea Ceremony will be held at 3:30 p.m. April 24 in the Pioneer Hall Reading Room.