Wildcats shut out the Pioneers

The women’s softball team had four back-to-back shutout games against the Lewis & Clark Pioneers Feb. 22-23 their first home field appearance.

On Feb. 22, the Wildcats won their two games against the Pioneers 10-0 and 8-0.

Senior Karina Paavola allowed only one hit during the whole five innings that were played. The ‘Cats really picked up the pace during the game on the third inning when the ’Cats got five runs in after gaining three runs in the pervious innings. The Wildcats rounded up the game with two more innings on both teams with out another run.

The next game following right after the 10-0 win, started off well for the Wildcats with getting a run every inning until the fourth. Senior Shelby VandeBergh pitched a five inning no hitter making it her third career no-hitter.

Freshman Danielle Duman hit a three-run homerun in the fifth and junior Erin Carson finished things off with hit that scored sophomore Kristen Vroom from third base.

On Sunday Feb. 23, the ’Cats finished their strike out streak with two big wins, 10-0 and 9-0. Linfield, the 10-time NWC champion, outscored Lewis & Clark 37-0 in the four games while outhitting the Pioneers 36-4.

At the first game the team started off the day with a 10-0 win against Lewis & Clark. Carson drove in two run white Senior Ashley Garcia got two doubles. In total the Wildcats got a total of 11 hits on the Lewis & Clark pitchers. In the last and final game the ’Cats continued to trump the field with a 9-0 score.

The Women’s softball team is away on March 1 against George Fox University at Newberg, Ore. and then they will host Pacific University on March 2 at noon.

Stephanie Hofmann/Sports editor

Junior McKenna Spieth (27) slides into home plate for one of their 10 runs that they got during the their game against Lewis & Clark University. The Wildcats are now in first place in the conference to start the season with an early head start.

Spencer Beck/Staff photographer

Junior Montana McNealy (16) wounds up her pitch to through at the Lewis & Clark batter. The Wildcats beat the Pioneers 4-0 games.

Spencer Beck/Staff photographer