LCS seeks new director, student input

Photo by Jeff Primozich
Photo by Jeff Primozich

Amber McKenna
Editor in chief

Linfield Campus Safety pursued a new director by holding two open forums with candidates for the position April 13 and 14.
During the open forums, the candidates for the position were introduced, talked about themselves and then took questions from students, faculty and staff.
Glenn Ford, vice president of finance and administration, said a focus of the hiring process for the position has been on student involvement.
“I consider the director of LCS position to be very important,” he said. “A critical aspect is that the person be able to work with and relate to students.”
Ford said he was pleased to see students attend the forums and was especially glad to have involvement from Greek Life members. He said he appreciated seeing so many people take the time to assist in the process.
Questions asked of the candidates ranged from how to develope positive relationships with students and campus safety philosophies to supervision and the candidate’s experience.
Ford said the school is looking for a person that has a strong focus on building trusting relationships with students.
Interim Director of Campus Safety William Curtin agrees.
“It is hard for public safety to get a good linkage with the community, but we want someone who is positive, someone who can organize the department into a community policing focus,” he said.
Curtin said community policing is centered on crime prevention and having safety information available to people.
The two candidates interviewed were the first of an unknown number, as the position is listed as “open until filled.” The candidates both had experience in campus safety at small, private, liberal arts colleges, which is what Linfield is looking for, Ford said.
Ford said he hopes to have the position filled before May 31, Curtin’s last day with Linfield.

1
View Comments (1)