HHPA shapes up careers

Photo by Jeff Primozich
Photo by Jeff Primozich

Mai Doan
For the Review

Senior Daniel Lever, the president of S.H.A.P.E. club, invited three guest speakers in the medical, physical therapy and physical education fields to give lectures in a professional development seminar week.
“I exhausted my resources online and through word of mouth,” Lever said of trying to find speakers.
Lever said this week was designed to help students whose majors are science, health, athletic training, physical education and exercise science, (which is where the club gets its name) to learn more about the field.
“This S.H.A.P.E. week matches with National Health Week,” junior Markus Cederberg, a S.H.A.P.E. club active member, said.
Marine Lommis was the first guest April 13. She is an naturopathic doctor who graduated from the National College of Natural College of Natural Medicine. She sold her successful practice to join the Alumni and Continuing Education Department of the National College of Natural Medicine. She gives lectures in the United States as an ambassador for Naturopathic Medicine.
The April 14 presenter was Doug Rosario. He shared his path to working with the Blazers and Winterhawks. His career began in 1978. He specializes in orthopedics and has been In private practice for 20 years. He primarily focuses on educating his patients about his specialty.
Senior Brett Smedley is student teaching at Newberg High School. He presented a sports education model he is using in class in the Health, Human Performance and Athletics foyer area.
Lance Tranthum have the last lecture on April 16. He is a Linfield alumnus and physical education teacher at Sue Buel Elementary and Newby Elementary. He explored options on how to keep programs running during the economic recession. He also touched on the importance of funding. He has 15 years of fundraising experience, successfully acquiring two climbing walls for physical education use.
“They were fantastic guest speakers,” Cederberg said.
Cederberg highlighted Tranthum’s speech, saying it was helpful for his future career in this economic recession.
“Dan set it all up and did a wonderful job,” Cederberg said.
With the help of the Associated Students of Linfield College, S.H.A.P.E. provided treats and door prizes at each event. They are also planning a booth and events for Wildstock.