Re-establish connections with Cuba

Amber McKenna
Dominic Baez

The Obama administration lifted restrictions placed on Cuban-Americans on April 13, according to a Huffington Post article.
It has been almost 50 years since the Kennedy administration froze policy with Cuba, and Obama’s decision marks a huge step forward in relations with the country, but more needs to be done.
According to the article, “restrictions were lifted on Cuban-Americans who want to visit and send money to their island home.” United States-based telecommunications firms are allowed to conduct business in Cuba now also.
What about Cuban businesses that want to work with the United States? The trade embargos remain in place for now.
Only 90 miles from the tip of Key West, Fla., Cuba is our neighbor. According to the U.S. International Trade Commission, our other neighbors, Canada and Mexico, are among the top three of our country’s biggest importers. By ceasing trade with Cuba, the United States could be missing out on a great opportunity to trade high-quality products at low fiscal and environmental trading costs.
Furthermore, a recent census discovered that only 11 percent of the 11 million people that populate Cuba are members of the Communist party. That means 89 percent of our neighbors are not supportive of the government that our country refuses to cooperate with.
The American government has the tendency to reach out to countries and people who are living under oppressing governments. Let’s continue that by reaching out to the people of Cuba.
The Huffington Post article states that Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana argues that more drastic policy adjustments are necessary “to promote U.S. interests in Latin America and to bring about change in Cuba.”
The change fulfilled one of President Obama’s campaign promises, which aimed to promote personal freedoms in Communist countries. Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam and China are the only contemporary Communist nations.
In an article published April 14 by the Associated Press, Fidel Castro was quoted saying that the administration’s actions were “positive although minimal.” Cubans were quoted as stating that help is what the people need.
Some commentators label the president’s changes as miniscule, while others say it is a dangerous step.
Currently, Cuba is one of the only places in the world that Americans cannot travel to from the United States. However, Americans have been visiting the country for years by taking flights out of Canada and Mexico.
According to the AP, many Cubans are hoping travel restrictions will be lifted soon for all Americans, so they can reap the benefits of tourism from their neighbors.
Important to keep in mind is that at the end of the day, the Cubans are our neighbors. The only way relations may improve or be maintained is through effort and communication. It seems as though Cuba has been willing to talk, and the United States is finally ready to take note.
So listen, Obama administration. Although the political state of a country may not be to our liking, there are countries who are just as deserving of our support as any other neighbor.