Alumna to address truths of obesity epidemic in America

As the nation tells its people about the growing problem of the obesity epidemic, one woman explores the truths to just how real the epidemic is.

Linfield alumna, Natalie Boero will share her discoveries and unravel the layers of truth behind the obesity epidemic as determined by her book, “Killer Fat: Media, Medicine and Morals in the American Obesity Epidemic.”

Published in 2012, Boero’s book explain how and why obesity became seen as a major public health concern in recent years.

Hosting the Boero’s book talk is a combined effort of the Linfield library and the sociology department.

As his student back in 1994, associate professor of sociology, Jeff Peterson, remembers Boero as a bright student with a future.

“She was amazing as a student,” Peterson said. “She was one of the brightest students we ever had and was always top of the class. She was an impressive student back then.”

After graduating from Linfield in 1996, Boero received her Master of Arts in 2000 at the University of California, Berkley, which Peterson describes as “the top graduate school for sociology at the time.”

Boero also earned a doctorate in philosophy in 2006 from UC-Berkley.

“I think it’s interesting talk because it goes against the conventional ways people have been looking at obesity,” Peterson said.

Peterson goes on to say that Boero looks at obesity as a “created epidemic.”

“I think it’s going to be a provocative talk,” Peterson said.

The event will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17 in Nicholson Library.

“This woman is a scholar and she’s from here. She does great work,” Peterson said.

Kaylyn Peterson / 
Managing editor

Kaylyn Peterson can be reached at [email protected]