Young team captures second at invitational

The men’s golf team went into this tournament almost a completely new team and finished second overall at the Pacific Invitational on Sept. 21-22.

The Wildcats competed against Willamette University, Puget Sound University, Oregon Technical Institute, Corban University, Pacific University, Lewis & Clark College, George Fox University and Trinity Lutheran College.

“We have some untested players,” head coach Greg Copeland said. “We lost some people last year and a lot of our players are new. We are still going to be pretty good.”

The team ended the first day tied for first place with notable performances from juniors Kevin Kawasaki, who finished fourth, and Taylor Pirnke, who finished eighth.

“I think all the younger kids did really well and held their composer,” Pirnke said. “Everyone really did well. Overall it was a good weekend and we can build from there.”

On the second day, the weather picked up causing many players scores to increase by a good amount.

The team, however, kept strong and held their ground giving them second in tournament as a team.

Pivotal players of this day were Kawasaki and Taylor Klopp who both got in the top-15.

With these wins behind them, the team now looks forward to future tournaments.

“I think this year is going to go well,” Prinke said. “Overall we are optimistic about the future and the team.”

The team plays at the Culturame Classic next Sept. 28-29 at the Reserve.

“[I’m] just really excited to get going,” Copeland said. “We have a change to get into the conference again. I’m excited to see what this new team can do.”

By Stephanie Hofmann/Sports editor