Linfield loses Henberg to Idaho

Chelsea Langevin
Copy editor

Marvin Henberg, professor and chair of the philosophy department, will become the College of Idaho’s 12th president this June and will be inaugurated this fall.
Although Henberg said he knew he was the unanimous selection of more than 50 applicants among the college’s board of trustees in December, he was not formally announced as president until Jan. 15.
Before arriving at Linfield, Henberg worked as a faculty member at the University of Idaho for 18 years, according to the College of Idaho’s press release.
After serving as interim president of Linfield, Henberg said he is looking forward to the new challenges at the College of Idaho.
“The enrollment is the highest in history, and it is the only independent liberal arts college in Idaho, so the prospects for development are great,” Henberg said.
In his roles as administrator and professor at Linfield for 15 years, Henberg has made impressive contributions to the college. Seth Tichenor, visiting professor of philosophy, said Henberg was instrumental in designing the south part of campus.
“I’m really proud to have been dean of faculty when we planned the south campus,” Henberg said.
In addition to expanding campus, Henberg has also introduced new topics of interest to the philosophy department, such as environmental ethics and philosophy of logic, Tichenor said.
“He’s a very impressive man and a good mentor,” Tichenor said.
In his role as professor, Henberg has engaged students’ philosophical minds as adviser to the Ethics Bowl and to Linfield’s annual philosophy retreat.
Senior philosophy major Kate Kilcup said she enjoys Henberg’s approach to teaching philosophy and interacting with students.
“He’s just down to earth; he has a very unpretentious way of teaching philosophy,” she said.
Although he is leaving for an opportunity, Henberg said there is much he will miss about Linfield, particularly his students and colleagues.
“I’ve been here 15 years, and I’ve enjoyed it tremendously,” Henberg said.