Who plans a DVD release date on a Saturday?

Dominic Baez

As I sat in the airport terminal before Spring Break, all I kept thinking was, “Damn, I’m going to miss the release of ‘Twilight’ tonight.” And then I thought, “Wow. Am I really worried about that right now?” And the answer was a resounding yes.
But that’s hardly the point. This wouldn’t have been an issue if Summit Entertainment, LLC had released the DVD on a normal release date (maybe Friday?). Yes, I get why the company did it: “Summit Entertainment’s Co-Chairmen Rob Friedman and Patrick Wachsberger stated, ‘The Saturday release in conjunction with the groundbreaking retail events across the country have proven to be overwhelmingly successful which in turn benefited ‘Twilight’ fans as well as our retail partners. Home Entertainment President Steve Nickerson, the home entertainment group and the entire family at Summit are to be commended for the conceptualization and execution of this unique approach,’” an article from Fox Business stated.
Unique approach, my butt. They just wanted to create a disruption and gain media coverage. I don’t blame them; I would have done the same thing, and I want to commend the studio on such a successful release, considering I bought one of the 3 million copies sold that day. However, because of its ridiculous release schedule, I had to wait until 3 a.m. to buy the stupid movie, as I had a late-night flight to New York that night. If the movie would have just had a regular release date, I wouldn’t have had to battle my way through an angry crowd of old women and a swarm of prepubescent teenage girls, who were probably awake way past their bedtimes, to get a copy of the movie. Honestly, I thought I was going to be stampeded to death. I even imagined what my headline would say: “More blood at Borders than in actual ‘Twilight’ movie.” And it was a nice Borders, too, just a few minutes from The Plaza Hotel. These people should have been in bed, and that store should have been closed, but no, those crazy people just had to be awake to be able to smash me up against the check-out counter. Obviously, my case was different, as I didn’t even arrive until 3 a.m., but I digress.
I still feel as though I haven’t really come to the point of this opinion piece. I guess my issue is that I’m upset because I was inconvenienced by the studio’s decision to release the movie on such a strange day. I mean, and not that I didn’t appreciate the early release date, it was still playing in theaters. I suppose I’m just sore about the whole situation, and it would have been nice to be able to attend the actual release event at midnight. All I’m hoping for is that I won’t have to miss any of the parties for “New Moon” because someone decides to release the DVD on a Sunday.
Oh, and on a different note, I just got the coolest ACP press badge. You can expect me to be flaunting that bad boy on campus, giving me yet another reason to ask you intrusive questions about your personal life. I love my job.