Wildcats swing in final regular season win

Senior Lexi Thomas goes in for a poach at the net against Rachel Heringer and Stephanie Matsuura in a 9-8 (7-2) number two doubles victory against Willamette University with partner sophomore Gretchen Jernstedt on April 12. The Wildcats won the match 8-1 against the Bearcats. Tyson Takeuchi/Senior photographer
Senior Lexi Thomas goes in for a poach at the net against Rachel Heringer and Stephanie Matsuura in a 9-8 (7-2) number two doubles victory against Willamette University with partner sophomore Gretchen Jernstedt on April 12. The Wildcats won the match 8-1 against the Bearcats.
Tyson Takeuchi/Senior photographer

The women’s tennis team ended its last regular season tournament with a home victory. Linfield finished with an 8-1 win against Willamette on April 12 at the Linfield Tennis Center.

Prior to the match, the sole senior, Lexi Thomas, was honored.

The Wildcats won all but one of the singles matches.

Junior Caroline Brigham took down the Bearcats’ Denise Poltavski in both sets, 6-3, 6-2. She was the winner of both number one matches.

Freshman Kwynn Ecton beat the Bearcats’ Stephanie Matsuura winning the sets 6-3, 6-2.

Sophomore Kelly Watanabe defeated Mandy Carlson, 6-1, 6-1.

Sophomore Gretchen Jernstedt won against Lizzie Kubitz, leaving her scoreless in the first set 6-0 and winning the second set 6-2.

Sophomore Kaila Nip won her match by default due to an injury to an opposing team’s player.

In doubles, the Wildcats swept the competition.

Brigham and Ecton both won their second victories in the number one match of the night, beating the Bearcats’ Sabrina Gutierrez and Denise Poltavski.

Jernstedt and Thomas had a tight match against the Bearcats, having to rally to tie the game and then gained a win with a final point, 9-8.

Nip and Watanabe also had a win, 8-1.

The Wildcats record improved from 6-5, 7-9 to 7-5, 8-9. They stand in fifth for the conference.

The Wildcats will next compete at the Northwest Conference Tournament on April 20.

Ivanna Tucker/Sports editor

Ivanna Tucker can be reached at [email protected].