Student struck by vehicle in crosswalk

A student was sent to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after being struck by a vehicle, while riding his longboard across the Keck Drive crosswalk on campus.

The McMinnville Police Department and McMinnville Fire Department paramedics responded to the reports of a vehicle versus pedestrian accident at approximately 7:30 p.m. March 13.

Sophomore Dillon Lystell, a pole vaulter on Linfield’s track and field team, was crossing the street on his longboard when a 1997 Geo Metro traveling westbound struck him.

The driver was 18-year-old Maira Alba of McMinnville. Alba had a 9-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy in the car also. None of the occupants of the car were injured. Alba estimated her speed to be 15 mph. She also stated that she did not see Lystell prior to the crash, according to the McMinnville Police Department.

A student who witnessed the accident, and who wishes to remain anonymous, said Lystell was about two thirds of the way through the crosswalk when he was struck.

Lystell rolled up onto the windshield of the car and bounced off of it. He immediately stood up and tried walking it off, the witness said.

Lystell was coherent when the student approached him but was complaining about his back, the witness said.

“He was trying to play it cool, but he was obviously shaken up by what happened. He was pretty calm though,” the witness said.

Lystell was transported to the Willamette Valley Medical Center for cuts and bruises, according to the McMinnville Police Department.

No one involved in the accident received a citation. However, the accident is still under investigation, according to the McMinnville Police Department.

“The crosswalk isn’t very noticeable. We students notice it because we walk across it all the time. If you don’t drive on campus all the time, you might not notice it,” the witness added.

Jessica Prokop/Editor-in-chief

Jessica Prokop can be reached at [email protected].