Men’s golf takes top spot, women’s team sinks

The Wildcat golf teams got off to their second tournament of the year, participating in the Pacific Spring Invitational at The Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club’s South Course on March 9 and 10.

The men’s team, coming off a rough final round at Callaway Gardens Intercollegiate, posted the third lowest round March 9, the first day of competition at the Pacific Spring Invitational.

The team was led by junior A.J. Taylor, who shot a 75, and was placed in fifth overall with one day left.

“Our team is solid and performing well,” Taylor said. “There is good competition, however, which means we need to perform and show up to each and every tournament if we want to win.”

The Wildcats took control of the invitational on March 10.

Led by sophomore Taylor Klopp’s 73, the Wildcats won the tournament with an overall score of 612.

Klopp shot the lowest two rounds for the team, placing third overall in the tournament with a 150.

Sophomore Taylor Pirnke finished in 10th with a 154.

Freshman Adam Ruben shot the third lowest score for the ’Cats with a 155, finishing in 11th.

Sophomore Ryan Nolan and Taylor both shot 158, leaving them tied for 17th.

The Wildcats fielded a second team, finishing fifth in the tournament with a score of 640. This group of five finished ahead of conference foes Willamette University, Pacific University and Lewis and Clark University.

The women’s team had a different experience at the Pacific Spring Invitational.

After taking the top two individual places at the Pacific Lutheran Invitational on March 3, the Wildcats fared differently.

The ’Cats placed seventh at the seven-team Pacific Spring Invitational, shooting an 816.

Junior Alexandria Smith was a standout for the Wildcats, as she placed seventh overall, shooting an 167 on the weekend, the top finish by any athlete not from George Fox.

Senior Brinn Hovde was right behind Smith, shooting a 168, tying for eighth.

The women’s next tournament is the George Fox Spring Preview on March 24 at the Oregon Golf Association Golf Course. The men hit the greens March 25 at the West Cup at Goose Creek Golf Club.

Chris Haddeland/Senior reporter

Chris Haddeland can be reached at l[email protected].