Old, new talent shape theater’s first spring selection

Photo by Jeff Primozich
Photo by Jeff Primozich

Amber McKenna

Love and art are at play in the first theater production of the semester, “The Shape of Things.”
The play, written by American playwright Neil LaBute, is directed by senior Zane Johnston. A spin on the traditional Adam and Eve story, Johnston said the play is a romantic comedy with a twist.
It features four characters, similar to last spring’s “Crave,” but unlike the controversial show, this production is a modern story with one main character.
The lead is Adam, a socially awkward security guard for the art gallery at a liberal arts college in the Northeast, played by sophomore Christopher Lambert.
“Adam is a quite insecure guy,” Lambert said. “He never had much luck with girls, never had the courage and when he falls in love with Evelyn, he changes himself.”
Lambert said, at age 27, he identifies with Adam, who is supposed to be older than of the rest of his classmates.
Evelyn is played by newcomer to the Linfield stage, freshman Grace Beckett.
“[My character] is a confident, sensual art student,” Beckett said. “Art is very important to her.”
The rest of the cast includes freshman Kristina Winch, as Jenny, and senior Bryan Bove, as Philip. The two portray a couple with a relationship completely different than that of Adam‘s and Evelyn’s.
“The two couples strike a good contrast on stage,” Johnston said.
“The Shape of Things” will be Johnston’s debut as director for a main production. He directed last year’s icebreaker, “Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind,” and was the assistant director of “Crave.”
The play takes place in a round with audience members on all four sides and sets the scene in an art gallery. Johnston said he loves directing and chose this play because he likes LaBute and wanted to bring a well-written modern production to the Linfield stage.
Johnston describes Adam as the quintessential dweeb, Evelyn as idealistic and opinionated, Jenny a sweet girl; and Philip as the egotistical guy.
He said the costumes for the production, designed by senior Afton Pilkington, play a large role in the development of the characters.
“The costumes are the most elaborate part of the show,” Johnston said. “The set is simple.”
Lambert said his character begins the play wearing big, loose clothes that hide his body, but as he gains more confidence his style changes and he puts more effort into his look.
“Unlike the other characters, all my costume changes are on stage,” he said.
“The Shape of Things” opens 8 p.m. March 17 and will run through March 20 in the Marshall Theater in Ford Hall. Admission is $9, and $7 for students.