Economy dampers aspiring teachers’ opportunities

Photo by Katie Paysinger
Photo by Katie Paysinger

Chelsea Langevin
Copy editor

In the wake of Oregon’s steep budget cuts, public schools are forced to slash programs this year and lay off teachers next year in an attempt to preserve the institutions themselves, leaving little hope for aspiring teachers.
In this economic climate, education majors face an uncertain job market, Gennie Harris, assistant professor of education, said.
The poor economy has decreased hiring, and past Linfield graduates have had difficulties finding jobs, junior education major Hillary Winkler said.
Legislators are working to cut as much as 6 percent from the 2009-2011 budget, with schools assuming the brunt of the cuts.
Linfield education majors are required to complete a two-semester student teaching program, and Winkler said she is not sure how budget cuts will affect the program.
“We will have to be creative in our resources because we’re not going to have a lot of money to spend,” she said.
Junior education major Teal Millage said she hopes to teach in the Portland area but doubts she will get a job immediately following graduation next spring.
At a recent teacher education conference, administrators simply told Linfield students “good luck” when looking for a job, Harris said.
“It was incredibly discouraging for them,” she said.
Despite the uncertainty among professors and students, the education department is working diligently to provide students with resources and options, Harris said.
Some essential resources education professors provide to students are résumé workshops and information about job opportunities nationally and internationally, Harris said.
She said it is important for students to consider jobs out of state, in places such as Alaska and Nevada, given the low probability of finding work in Oregon.
The education department also stressed the importance of gaining experience in the classroom before job hunting, Harris said. She said employers want to know what in-school experiences students have.
The department provides volunteer and paid opportunities, such as reading at homeless shelters or at after-school programs.
In an effort to effectively communicate with education majors, Scott Chambers, professor of finance, will speak March 31 about the economy and its implications for teachers.
Harris said that by pooling resources and providing students with opportunities, the students will be better prepared to face the job market.
“We’re trying not to leave any stone unturned,” Harris said.
In a time when teachers with years of experience are losing their jobs, students need to stand out to potential employers, she said.
“Students have to really shine in order to be hired,” Harris said.