Garden needs more student involvement to thrive

Did you know that we have a community garden at Linfield?

At least, it has the potential to be one. Right next to Renshaw Hall, you might have noticed the fenced-in area with wood structures and various tall plants.

The garden could be so beneficial to this school, but it is overlooked and under-appreciated.

Some time and energy is required for any garden. Whether it’s flowers or food, growing quality plants takes more than just desire.

But what we lack here at Linfield for our garden is the desire.

More time and energy needs to be invested in order for our garden to thrive and reach its potential for serving the community. We yield what we put into it.

The garden already provides things like tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, zucchinis and herbs that students are welcome to take.

They grow in awesome raised beds that junior Lexi Sayer constructed during the summer. Totem Shriver’s art classes contributed the wooden sculptures that decorate the space.

Our garden is already a product of various people’s hard work, but it can become more.

We have resources available to us that can turn our garden into an even more productive source of food  and community for everyone.

More work needs to be done, but there isn’t a big enough interest base here for it to really get rolling.

With steady upkeep like watering, weeding and harvesting, the garden could be a sustainable food source for students and faculty.

Dillin Hall can have produce available for students during meals.

Students can pick the fruits and vegetables for free, but everyone is encouraged to contribute and give back with their help.

Beyond food, gardens are a tremendous source of peace. Gardening is an effective way to relieve stress, and people often describe it as meditative and therapeutic.

It’s almost impossible to be in a bad mood while enjoying some dirt in a garden. It’s good for the soul.

You also get to form a better relationship with the earth, which is never a bad thing.

Gardening is also a great way to build a community with other people while working. We could reach further than Linfield and  connect with the McMinnville community, as well.

Instead of searching for places to volunteer and work, let’s bring it home. We could have garden parties in our own backyard.

We could even get people to come give gardening workshops. The fence needs to be painted, and an organizational system needs to be put into place.

The level of awesomeness this garden could reach is totally attainable. And it’s something I want to achieve.

But we need more people involved in order to reap all the benefits. If you’re interested, let me know. Let’s make this happen.

Kelsey Sutton 

Managing editor

Kelsey Sutton can be reached at [email protected].