O’Riley’s makeover first in series of changes

Photo by Jeff Primozich
Photo by Jeff Primozich

Amber McKenna
Editor in chief

O’Riley’s Cafe received a face lift during January Term that started the path toward other changes coming to Campus Dining Services.
Brad Sinn, director of facilities and auxiliary services, said planning to remodel the space began approximately 18 months ago.
“There was an awkward service area and huge kitchen,” Sinn said. “We needed more space.”
Walls were knocked out to provide a larger space for patrons to line up in the café and to facilitate service.
“The café now offers faster, more efficient service,” Masullo said.
The work on the café was completed by K2MG Interiors, Newberg, a non-union company hired by Sodexho, as a subcontractor, Bill Masullo, general manager of food services, said.
Freshman Sarah Wilder said she thinks the remodel makes O’Riley’s more group-friendly.
Masullo said all the food in the café is made from scratch at Dillin Hall and brought to O’Riley’s to compensate for the smaller kitchen space.
The change also came in the form of a new coffee service, Jazzman’s. The franchise is a product of Sodexho, Masullo said.
He said Jazzman’s has an expanded drink menu, more nutritional information and a professional marquee.
Freshman Lindsay Gehres said she enjoys the taste of the new coffee, but isn’t particularly fond of the limited food options.
Another development brewing is the installation of a Jazzman’s coffee cart inside Nicholson Library. The cart is planned to be stationed just inside the library entrance starting mid-March. It will feature coffee beverages and include a bakery case.
Because this is the first time dining services has expanded into the library, Masullo said, service will be experimental through the remainder of the semester.
Gehres said she thinks it is interesting that a coffee cart will be put inside the library, considering food and drinks are currently prohibited in the building.
Additionally, the sound of an espresso machine might cause disturbance for some library patrons, but may be the trade-off of having food and coffee available while studying.
“It’s going to be loud,” Masullo said.
The coffee cart will most likely operate in the late afternoon and early evenings.