Jurors delegate art show pieces

Heather McClellan

The juried student art show, a compilation of artwork created by various students, opened this week in the Miller Fine Arts Gallery.

“It is a great opportunity to see student productions,” Cris Moss, adjunct professor of art and visual culture and director of the Miller Fine Arts Gallery, said. “It is a great showing opportunity for students.”

The show is not limited to art majors. Students could enter up to three pieces of any kind of work.

“The pieces are judged and selected for the show by two jurors who are prominent artists,” Moss said.

This year, the jurors were Kristen Kennedy, visual director of the Portland Institute of Contemporary Art, and TJ Norris, a Northwestern artist and the “.meta” art show curator. However, Norris was unable to judge because of the stomach flu.

“The jurors are from outside the Linfield community because it gives them totally clean slates because they don’t know the students and there is no barrier of student-professor relationships,” Moss said.

Selection for the show depends entirely upon the tastes of the jurors, giving them the chance to just choose pieces that they like or that move them in some way, Moss said.

The show opened Dec. 3 and will run through Dec. 20. The gallery is open from 12-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.