Goals not realized in first four games of season

Greg Larson

For the Review

The Wildcats aim to storm the basketball courts this winter, but the first clouds formed Nov. 21 at Warner Pacific University, and rough skies lay ahead.

The women’s team dropped its first game, 61-47. At the home opener against Concordia University of Portland on Dec. 2, the ‘Cats were unable to come back from Concordia’s early lead. With four players scoring in double figures, Concordia deflated Linfield’s aspirations of victory.

Linfield played Concordia evenly throughout the second half, but the team was unable to recuperate from being down 39-18 at the half. With an entirely reformed roster, the ‘Cats  struggled to find their rhythm  early this season.

“Our team goals are to really focus on defense by holding the other team to less than 52 points every game, to out rebound our opponents both on the offensive and defensive end and compete, every game,” freshman Brynna Fuller said.

None of these goals were realized in the first two games, and Linfield headed to Idaho, beaten and bruised, where The College of Idaho and Eastern Oregon University only added to its loss column.

Eastern Oregon defeated Linfield, 79-73, on Nov. 28, rallying in the second half to come back from a nine-point deficit. Sophomore Sarah Amina led the Wildcats, scoring 15 points,
with freshman MaKenzie Blythe coming off the bench to add 13.

EOU converted 32 points from 25 Linfield turnovers. Seventeen minutes, 50 seconds into the second half,
Eastern Oregon secured the lead.

Linfield was handed its fourth loss by The College of Idaho the following day. The ‘Cats failed to protect the ball; they were plagued by 41 turnovers, which led to 32 points and a 30-point loss. Only one player, junior Kelsey Forrest, scored double digits, with 10 points. The 49-25 lead at the break proved to be insurmountable to come back from.

“We are a new team with only three returners, but we all get along really well,” Fuller said. “We all want to win, and we all give
our best.”

Another team goal, head coach Robyn Stewart said, is to individually focus on controllable aspects of the game, including attitude, enthusiasm and competitiveness.

Stewart said her strongest focus, although cliché, is to improve every game.

“These girls have shown a high level of work ethic, and they are all really coachable; each of them wants to learn and is excited to be on the court,” she said. “With that attitude, we can really improve.”

The program is strengthened by several transfer students: Juniors Nadra Evans and Kelsey Forrest bring their experience and talent from Lower Columbia College, and senior Whitney Honn brings finesse from Seattle University.

The team has a nice lineup when it comes to height, with a front line composed of six-foot Honn and Baumgartner and Forrest, both measuring in at 5′ 10″. Linfield plans to use height to its advantage.

“Our height is really a key to our lineup,” she said. “We are looking to score with our low-post opportunities, and that will open up the outside as well. We will really be able to play off our success in the post.”

As the year progresses, they hope to be able to work the inside, kick out well and exploit their height to score down low. Linfield’s size, combined with the athleticism of guards such as Evans and sophomores Amina and Stephanie Fennimore, will present quite the conundrum for opponents throughout the season.

Stewart recognizes the team’s potential.

“This group is unselfish at the offensive end of the floor, and we’re working on becoming a solid defensive team,” she said. “Our size is going to allow us to do some different things. We are trying to see who we are as a team with the preseason. After that, we will look more into long term goals.”