Seniors discuss pros and cons of housing options

Mai Doan

Review staff writer

The Office of Institutional Research receive the percentage of housing-eligible students of campus every fall semester. According to the data, 119 of 324 seniors live off campus this fall semester.  This data does not include those in fraternity housing or those studying abroad.

The housing fee at Linfield increases four  to six percent every year.

“Students can live off campus to save money,” Jeff Mackay, associate dean of students and director of residence life, said.

The percentage of seniors living off campus is 37 percent this term. The data states that the number of seniors living off campus has increased from 26 to 40 percent from fall 2003 to fall 2007, and decreased three percent in fall 2008.

“This is not a big number,” Mackay said.

He said the number of seniors living off campus this year has decreased from past years because prices of community housing may have increased because of inflation.

“Living off campus is a little bit cheaper,” senior Charlie Keller disagreed.

Keller said he thinks the Hewlett-Packard apartments are small and pretty expensive compared to living off campus.

“It’s cheaper because we can split it in five, but then we also have to pay [for] other things,” he said.

Keller said he thinks students want to live off campus because of the sense of freedom.

“There is no real regulation in our house,” Keller said. “We don’t have to deal with the school policy anymore.”

However, he said he has to cook and ride a bike to get to campus.

“Every senior probably soon realizes they miss a whole bunch of living on campus,” he said. “It’s such a pain biking in the rain to get to class.” he said.

Keller said he found things easier while he lived on campus.

Despite the fact that senior Marcus Munro has to pay for utilities and gas, living off campus still saves him money, he said.

Munro also said he has been more independent when living off campus.

“I am able to control my cable, and I have my own washing machine and dryer,” he said. “I have more space, and I don’t have to worry about quiet time if my group gathers.”

Living off campus, Munro said, is a chance for students to face real life.

“I have to pay bills for electric and water every month. I didn’t have them at all when I lived on campus,” he said.   x

However, Munro said he  thinks living on campus is more convenient.

“It is hard to know what is going on when you live off campus,” he said.

He also tries to keep track of activities on campus by reading the Review and going to the Campus Information Center, but he said he would rather stay home at night than make the trip to campus for small events.

Munro said the main reason to get to campus is for classes or clubs. He prefers to make one trip to campus and get everything done.

“I cannot make the trip to campus for any extra activities,” he said. “You will need a very strong group of friends. Otherwise you may lose a lot of friends when you live off campus just because you cannot be with them all the time.”

He said when living in the HPs he could get to other friends’ apartments easily. Now, he has to schedule his time to see his friends.

Unlike Keller and Munro, senior Corey Proctor lives on campus.

“I live on campus because it is a much easier commute to classes,” he said. “You are closer to your classmates who you can meet with and talk to if you need help. It is also proven that those individuals who live on campus receive a better GPA.”

He also believes the community and social environment is much better on campus, and it is easier to stay in touch with friends.

Proctor said he thought the biggest disadvantage is the lack of independence.

“I think it is a main reason why so many seniors live off campus,” he said.