Meet the 2015 ASLC candidates

Presidential+candidates+and+juniors+Shawna+Jacobson-Sims%2C+Alex+Ogle%2C+and+Kevin+Hurtley+enjoy+themselves+at+the+Q+and+A+elections+forum.+

Michaela Fujita

Presidential candidates and juniors Shawna Jacobson-Sims, Alex Ogle, and Kevin Hurtley enjoy themselves at the Q and A elections forum.

Jonathan Williams, News editor

The 2015 ASLC president and vice president candidates answered student questions and addressed their personal goals at the question and answer open forum at 7 p.m. on March 3 in Riley 201.

Candidates present included juniors Kevin Hurley, Alex Ogle and Shawna Jacobson-Sims who are all running for ASLC president.

Freshman Will Heck was the only vice president candidate at the forum.

Questions from the audience included what the candidates personal goals are, how they hope to communicate with the student body, reasons for running, how they will deal with college administration and known challenges of their positions.

Jacobson-Sims said she wants to bridge the communication gab between students and ASLC as well as increase connectivity between clubs so they all help each other.

“Open communication is always a challenge … I want all student voices to be heard,” Jacobson-Sims said.

Ogle was optimistic about how much a team (ASLC) can get done if they work together.

“When I first came to Linfield I was one of Duncan’s (Reid) first work-study students. Our team was a small group of people but it was amazing how much work we got done since we all worked hard,” Ogle said.

Hurley mentioned that his diverse background in Greek life and athletics would help him be a successful president.

“I want to be more personal with students and talk to them in person rather than by email,” Hurley said.

Jacobson-Sims mentioned that she wants ALSC to be more accessible to students as one of her main reasons for running.

Ogle said he hopes by running for president to set the bar high for whoever wins so they follow through and are accountable to students.

“I had a great first semester at Linfield and hope to pass along the joys I’ve had by helping connect the student body to ASLC,” Heck said.

As far as dealing with college administration, all candidates realized the importance of effective communication between students and administration.

Ogle said he wants to have open monthly meetings where students can ask faculty and administration any questions they have to bridge the communication gap.

“I think open communication between students and administration about what students want is important. I want to be an advocate for students,” Jacobson-Sims said.

Hurley acknowledged through his experience in athletics, academics and Greek life, “You’re not always going to win an argument. Working with administration and communicating with them is key,” commented Hurley.

Ogle, a physics major, and Jacobson-Sims, a computer science major, both agreed their majors have taught them the importance of hard work as well as problem-solving skills.

Hurley, who majors in finance, said his major has taught him to be organized as well as goal orientated.

For Heck, “age is irrelevant” when talking to people at Linfield. “I’m comfortable around all classes of people.”

The two other freshmen running for vice president, Ehren Cahill and Ben McNair, had prior commitments.

Junior Mackenzie Larson was also absent due to a choir concert.

Larson said in her personal statement which was read at the forum that she wants to “Connect the campus across all clubs and organizations.” Larson is involved in Greek and residence life as well as choir in the music department.

One of Larson’s goals is to host a Linfield leadership conference for all students so they can share ideas and positively impact one another.

Cahill mentioned in his personal statement that was also read at the forum that he is “driven and goal orientated” and wants to connect ALSC with all students at Linfield.

Cahill is involved in swimming and men’s tennis as well as concert choir.

McNair, who is also running for vice president, said in an email that one of his goals is to “establish a greater sense of community in our school.”

“The more voices that are heard, the better we can help improve our college and help make a positive impact on our community,” McNair said.

Primary elections are Thursday, March 5. Students will receive an email from ASLC with a link to the Linfield Den webpage where they can vote for candidates.

Final elections are March 10.

ASLC candidates were asked questions about their goals in short videos about the election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhL1dh32cM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eI5RvEj4s8

Jon Williams can be reached at [email protected].