Lacrosse begins season with loss

Wildcats storm the field in an attempt to retrieve the ball from the Loggers during a lacrosse match against the University of Puget Sound on March 4 at home. Kaylyn Peterson/Sports editor

The lacrosse season has officially begun for the Wildcats.

On March 3-4, the Linfield women played two home games against the University of Redlands Bulldogs and the University of Puget Sound Loggers.

The Linfield women played against the Bulldogs, a team from Redlands, Calif., losing 23-9 March 3.

Redlands player Megan Prickett scored the first goal in the first minute of the game.

After Redlands scored three more goals, Linfield player, junior Mariah Jones scored the Wildcats’ first goal.

After a couple more shots were made by Redlands, Linfield players sophomore Zoe Spring, junior Brittani Drost assisted by Spring, and junior Taylor Fisher assisted by Jones, scored three goals in under a minute.

“We work well as a unit,” Spring said.

Redlands scored the rest of the goals in the first half. At the end of the half, the score was 17-4.

The teams were more evenly matched in the second half. Linfield scored five goals and Redlands scored six, finishing the game with a score of 23-9.

Sunday’s game ended in a similar fashion, the Wildcats losing 23-9 to the University of Puget Sound Loggers.

The game began in the Wildcats’ favor. Fisher scored the first goal of the game, giving Linfield a good start.

Drost scored the second goal of the game, and Spring scored the third goal, assisted by junior Lynnette Cole.

“We had a lot of intensity [in the beginning of the game]” Spring said.

Linfield wasn’t too far behind at the end of the first half, with a score of 7-11.

The Loggers dominated the second half of the game, scoring 12 points compared to the Wildcats’ two points.

“We lost because we forgot our fundamentals,” Spring said.

Freshman Chas Tittle and Fisher were the only Linfield players to score a goal in the second half.

Tittle scored her first goals of the season in this game, scoring a goal in the first half and a goal in the second half.

“I was glad to help out the team,” Tittle said.

The Wildcats’ next game is against Pacific University at 6 p.m. March 14 at home.

“Our goal is to just keep improving,” Tittle said.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Meghan O’Rourke/
Opinion editor
Meghan O’Rourke can be reached at [email protected].