Let go of technology for a day

Have you ever realized how much you use technology?

I took somewhat of a break from technology recently, and it really showed me how much I used it in my daily life.

It’s everywhere we turn. From the second we wake up, to the minute we go to sleep at night, we use our phones, computers or iPods.

Modern amenities surround us, and it’s pretty hard to escape them. Even if phones or the Internet are taken out of the equation, technology is still  dominant in our lives.

I was feeling stressed out, so I decided I would turn off my cell phone for a few days and not check my Facebook.

I’ve had some people tell me that it’s nice to not have to answer to anyone and just shut out the world for a while.

They were right. It was so liberating, and I felt so free. I felt like I could finally get some peace of mind.

Turning off your phone doesn’t mean you have to shut the world out, however. It can simply just make things quieter.

Sometimes, when you’re caught up in the world of instant updates and constant alerts, it can be hard to concentrate on anything—especially important things.

The first day was hard. I wanted to turn my phone back on and just see who had texted me. I wanted to check all my wall posts and messages. It took a lot to hold myself back. But once I did, I was amazed at how fast I got things done.

Without the Internet to distract me, I was able to be totally productive. I finished homework in half the time, and the quality was better.

Taking this step back from technology also strengthened some of my relationships.

I truly missed the people that I’m far away from, and I could have more meaningful conversations now that there was a few days’ worth of things to talk about.

I also had more face-to-face interactions instead of just calling someone or sending a text.

Instead of using my cell phone to find out where they were, I had to actually go and find my friends, which was difficult.

I felt so much better at the end of the week that I almost just wanted to keep my phone off for good. I’ve found that I’m using my computer less to waste time. Instead of surfing pointless websites, I find new books to read.

I think more people should try to take this kind of a break, at least once. Take more time for the little things.

Staying off the Internet makes more time for things like reading a book, or painting, or running or anything else that truly brings you joy.

Take a look at the sky. Get some coffee with a friend and actually sit down and talk.

You might decide you like the calm so much that you’ll want to make it more than a couple days.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kelsey Sutton/Copy chief
Kelsey Sutton can be reached at [email protected]