Future educator honored

Claire Oliver

Arts/ent/ops editor 

Senior education major Kim Hartman used her multicultural awareness and leadership skills to earn funding toward future training in her field.

Hartman was awarded a $1,000 grant by the Oregon Retired Educators Association. The amount was set aside specifically for graduates of Yamhill County schools. Hartman is an alumna of McMinnville High School.

According to OREA’s Web site, “the funds may be used at the discretion of the student teacher—for supplies, clothes, gas etc.”

Hartman said she plans to use the money for future classroom supplies, as she is student teaching full time at Carlton Elementary School.

Before taking on the fourth grade class, Hartman taught local second graders at Grand Haven Elementary School.

Her career aspirations, however, lie outside the classroom. Student teaching was originally a task she approached with some hesitation.

“I want to be a middle school counselor, so I didn’t have expectations for the classroom,” Hartman said.

Her hesitations disappeared as soon as her practical instruction began.

“Some are meant to be in the classroom, and I didn’t think it’d be a job I could see myself doing,” she said. “But, the first day (I met) those kids, they changed the way I think about education.”

Dee has taught Hartman in several courses, including Multicultural Education. It was her letter of recommendation that Hartman credits with earning her the OREA grant.

“She’s a strong advocate for social justice,” Dee said. “She’s not afraid to express her opinions.”

Along with this openness, Dee said Hartman possesses not only an understanding of the local community, but a global awareness learned from studying abroad in Europe.

Hartman said her experience has affected her life outside the classroom. Although she was initially surprised with her happiness in the classroom environment, the grant will undoubtedly help further these skills in the future.

“My confidence level has risen,” she said. “It’s just fun, totally falling in love with something that’s unexpected.”