On campus housing will fill to capacity

Katie Paysinger

Even after the end of housing registration on May 9, rooms are still filling quickly, and it appears just enough rooms and apartments will be available for incoming students next fall.

Jeff Mackay, director of Residence Life, said there were 483 spaces still available in residence halls, and 47 apartments still available on campus. He said he hopes to have more filled in the coming weeks, while still allowing housing for incoming freshman, transfers and exchange students.

“Last year, we had a lot of leftover housing,” Mackay said. “This year we won’t have as many (suburbs left). It really depends on the size of the incoming senior class and transfer students.”

Student Services likes to hold eight to 10 apartments for transfer students in the fall.

“Sometimes students who filed an exemption form to live off campus don’t find anything they like,” Mackay said. “When they ask to come live on campus, we like to have something available.”

Mackay said housing registration went smoothly last week. He said there are never enough quad or double-occupancy apartments. This year, the Green Apartments filled quickly, which was unusual.

In the residence halls, Jane Failing Hall was yet again a popular choice for students, as were Terrell and Elkinton halls where the rooms have sinks.

Freshman Janelle Miller was one of the eager residents hoping to get a room in Jane Failing Hall.

“(My roommates and I) really wanted to be able to get a triple in Jane,” Miller said. “But people with more credits kept taking the good rooms.”  

Mackay said more and more students are entering Linfield with as many as 30 credits from high school.

“Even coming in with just a few credits gets you ahead in the ballgame,” Mackay said.

Ties were broken in extreme circumstances by whoever had the lowest identification card number.

“What made it worse was that it was our fault we didn’t have more credits,” Miller said.

Vacant rooms left over after registration are still filling quickly in Mackay’s office. On Monday, Mackay filled 13 spots in 50 minutes and was expecting to fill more.

He is encouraging around 200 students who have registered for fall semester
classes, but have neglected to arrange housing, to do so immediately. E-mails have been sent to persuade students to find adequate off campus housing or to register with him in Student Services, located in Melrose Hall Room 110.