Empowering Women through Sorority Life

Mariah Johnston
Zeta Tau Alpha

A month dedicated to honoring and bringing light to the women in the world who have done and are doing remarkable work — March marks Women’s History Month. It honors the brave women in the past for paving the path forward for today’s women, who are doing extraordinary work.

At Linfield University, women find leadership, friendship and self-empowerment through just one of Linfields many extracurricular activities — Panhellenic life. Four sororities are on campus — Phi Sigma Sigma, Zeta Tau Alpha, Sigma Kappa Phi and Alpha Phi.

All four sororities value leadership and empowering their members to be the leaders of the future.

“Panhellenic life on campus has made me a leader by pushing me out of my comfort zone to be more active around campus and holding myself accountable to be the best I can,” said Panhellenic President Ally Nicklous. “Before coming to Linfield and joining sorority life, I wasn’t able to make any real connections with anyone.”

Through each sorority, members have an array of opportunities to hold leadership positions in their chapter, as well as on the Panhellenic Council. Leadership and service are the main values of Panhellenic Life.

Grayce Miller, Archon of Phi Sigma Sigma, is a sophomore exercise science major, psychology minor, member of the lacrosse team and a registration orientation leader. As Archon, her duties are to run her chapter and communicate with members.

“Being archon is one of the most rewarding things I have done, but it does not come without its challenges,” said Miller. “I am constantly responding to emails and text messages. I’ve had to find a balance of my time and set boundaries for myself when it’s time to work and when it’s time to relax.”

Phi Sigma Sigma (Mariah Johnston)

Similarly, so, Julia Dietlin, President of Alpha Phi, finds herself balancing school and sorority life as well. Dietlin is a junior wine studies and management double major. Panhellenic life for her has come with personal growth, confidence and leadership. It has taught her to value everything around her.

“I have been fortunate enough to build trust and friendships with the women of my chapter, so I have felt such love and support since stepping into the role,” said Dietlin. “To
empower an individual is to help them think outside of the box, to support them in innovating
new ideas and solutions to the major issues that challenge us, and sometimes to practice resilience when things don’t turn out as we expected.”

Through siblinghood, all sororities build trust with each other. Sororities hold social events, sisterhoods and community events with one another, which further increases those bonds.

“I applied for President to build deeper connections with my siblings,” said Lauryn Duryee, a junior exercise science major and President of Zeta Tau Alpha. “I have made some of the best memories and met some of my best friends, mentors and supporters through Panhellenic life. I wouldn’t trade those memories or opportunities.”

Through Linfield’s Panhellenic community, members have found lasting friendships and leadership roles that are preparing them for the future.

“I cannot guarantee Panhellenic Life is the best possible fit for every person who steps on this campus, but I can guarantee that you will grow as a person beyond what you could imagine,” said Dietlin.

Panhellenic Life aims to support and build women up through leadership and service. With interactive leadership conferences, workshops and collaboration with one another, Panhellenic Life strives to create the strongest women for tomorrow’s world.