The Makers Market Returns for the Second Year

Poster made by Kara Kanetake

With the holiday season around the corner, the daunting task of gift shopping is upon the community. With endless aisles of potential gifts, it seems the options are endless — and sometimes boring.

Speaking of uniqueness, join the Linfield community in celebrating its second annual Makers Market, hosted by the Art Department, the seemingly annual market for artists to display their work. The market will run from 4:30-8:00 in the Miller Fine Arts Center, in the atrium entryway to the gallery.

Last year’s market saw prints, pottery, crocheted goods, handmade ornaments, wrapping paper and expects to see similar and more artistic goods this year such as jewelry, fiber art, glass work and photography. With 14 artists, the Makers Market will surely have the right gift for you.

“The makers market is a great experience for student artists who are thinking about selling their work,” said Marissa Nagano, a senior art major. “It helps us build confidence in our abilities, and it is a glimpse into what it would be like to sell our work on a larger scale.”

The market allows students with artistic abilities to display their work and have a chance to share with the community the art they’re passionate about making. Art encourages students to express themselves in their own unique way but also allows students to showcase their work and make a little commission on the side.

“There’s nothing quite like the joy on someone’s face after they find the perfect gift for someone else or an item for themself,” said Annemarie Mullet, senior digital art major. “It’s so cool to see people as excited about your art as you are.”

Perfectly timed, the market aligns just in time with the holiday season. Show support for the community’s local artists and also get some unique gifts that are sure to leave anyone in awe. Artists will accept cash, but the preferred transaction is Venmo.

The Makers Market is a Linfield special, so make sure to stop by the Miller Fine Arts Center on Wednesday, November 29, for the chance to see some hand-crafted artwork.

The Makers Market also aligns with the student-juried art show. Students who are selected by guest juror Shelly Durica–Laiche will have their work displayed in Miller Fine Arts Center from Nov. 29- Dec. 13. The opening reception is Nov. 29 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. which falls during the times of the Makers Market.

For more information, visit @Linfieldart on Instagram!